The commission while inquiring into complaints of violations of human rights may call for information or report from the state government or any other authority or organization subordinate thereto within such time as may be specified by it, provided that if the information or report is not received within the time stipulated by the commission, it may proceed to inquire into the complaint on its own. On the other hand , if on receipt of information or report, the commission is satisfied either that no further inquiry is required or that the required action has been initiated or taken by the concerned government or authority, it may not proceed with the complaint and inform the complainant accordingly.
While inquiring into complaints under the act, the commission shall have all the powers of a civil court trying a suit under the Code of Civil Procedure, 1980, and in particular the following namely:
1. Summoning and enforcing the attendance of witness and examining them on oath.
2. Discovery and production of any document.
3. Receiving evidence on affidavits.
4. Requisitioning any public record or copy thereof from any court or office.
5. Issuing commissions for the examination of witness or documents.
6. Any other matter which may be prescribed.